- In 2019, I found that software engineers made a median base salary of $130,000. And those with the senior software engineer title made $148,000. Here are the 2019 base salary quartiles for those in the H1B data with the software engineer title: And here are the same values for the senior software engineer title:
- 1 Do software engineers make good money?
- 2 Do software engineers make 500K?
- 3 What is a salary of a software engineer?
- 4 What is the highest paying job?
- 5 Which engineering has highest salary?
- 6 Do software engineers become millionaires?
- 7 What is the starting pay at Microsoft?
- 8 Why is software engineer salary so high?
- 9 Is software engineering easy?
- 10 What is the salary for 3 years experience in it?
- 11 How long does it take to become a Software Engineer?
- 12 Is computer programming hard?
- 13 Does Amazon pay well for software engineers?
- 14 How much do coding jobs pay?
- 15 2022 Software Engineer Salary in US
- 16 Software Engineer salary in United States
- 17 Salaries by years of experience in the United States
- 18 Top companies for Software Engineers in United States
- 19 Where can a Software Engineer earn more?
- 20 Best-paid skills and qualifications for Software Engineers
- 21 Most common benefits for Software Engineers
- 22 Salary satisfaction
- 23 63% of Software Engineers in the United States think their salaries are enough for the cost of living in their area.
- 24 $70,000 in Louisville, Kentucky
- 25 $93,000 in Austin, Texas
- 26 $120,000 in San Diego, California
- 27 2022 Software Engineer Salary in US
- 28 Software Engineer Salary
- 29 What is the Pay by Experience Level forSoftware Engineers?
- 30 What DoSoftware EngineersDo?
- 31 Job Satisfaction forSoftware Engineer
- 32 Software Engineer Salary – How much money do Software Engineers actually make?
- 33 How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
- 34 What determines your pay as a software engineer?
- 35 Software engineer pay by experience level
- 36 How to become a well-paid software engineer
- 37 Get more practice, more projects, and more guidance.
- 38 Software engineer earnings by seniority
- 39 Software engineer salary by state
- 40 How do software engineer salaries compare to similar careers?
- 41 2022 Software Engineer Salary in Los Angeles (Updated Daily)
- 42 How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
- 43 How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
- 44 Why Are Engineers Compensated So Well?
- 45 How much do web developers make?
- 46 Is It Best to Specialize in One Language?
- 47 How Much Does a Software Developer Make an Hour?
- 48 How Much Does a Software Developer Make a Year Based on Job Title?
- 49 Does Location Matter For Developer Salaries?
- 50 How Much Can a Software Developer Expect to Get Paid?
- 51 Find a Job
- 52 What Is the Software Developer Salary by Place of Employment?
- 53 Frequently Asked Questions
- 54 Average Software Developer Pay vs. Other Best Jobs
- 55 Jobs Related to Software Developer
Do software engineers make good money?
The average software engineer salary is higher than the industry average for many other industries. The more years of experience an engineer has, the higher they’re paid—managers, directors, and leaders in software engineering earn in multiple six figures.
Do software engineers make 500K?
As an example, a junior engineer fresh out of college even with an unrelated diploma like physics, math, or industrial engineering can score a $100K compensation in Silicon Valley, while a senior engineer with a successful decade long career will get $500K and upwards.
What is a salary of a software engineer?
An entry-level system software developer can earn around ₹460,000 per annum with less than one year of experience. Early level system software developer with 1 to 4 years experience get around ₹531,792 per annum. A mid-level system software developer with 5 to 9 years experience earns ₹1,200,000 per annum in India.
What is the highest paying job?
Top 100 highest-paying jobs
- Cardiologist. National average salary: $351,827 per year.
- Anesthesiologist. National average salary: $326,296 per year.
- Orthodontist. National average salary: $264,850 per year.
- Psychiatrist. National average salary: $224,577 per year.
Which engineering has highest salary?
The Highest Paying Engineering Degrees In 2021
- Petroleum Engineers. Salary: $114,080 to $166,400 (annually)
- Nuclear Engineers. Salary: $99,920 to $142,290 (annually)
- Aerospace Engineers.
- Software Engineers.
- Engineering Managers.
- Chemical Engineers.
- Electrical Engineers.
- Biomedical Engineers.
Do software engineers become millionaires?
No, it is impossible for a software engineer to become a millionaire.
What is the starting pay at Microsoft?
Microsoft’s starting median pay beats out rivals at $91,500. It’s a good time to be a highly-skilled engineer looking for a job in tech. And one of the best places to go as a newbie tech worker — at least when it comes to pure salary — is Microsoft.
Why is software engineer salary so high?
Software engineer salaries are so high because of supply and demand. There are not enough developers to meet demand in the industry so good developers are paid an absolute premium. Technology is also constantly changing and it requires immense effort to keep your skills up to date.
Is software engineering easy?
Yes, software engineering can be somewhat hard to learn initially – especially for those without programming or coding skills or any background or knowledge of tech – but there are many courses, tools, and other resources available to help people learn to become a Software Engineer.
What is the salary for 3 years experience in it?
The highest salary for a Software Engineer III in Bangalore Area is ₹30,48,856 per year. What is the lowest salary for a Software Engineer III in Bangalore Area? The lowest salary for a Software Engineer III in Bangalore Area is ₹14,68,502 per year.
How long does it take to become a Software Engineer?
It can take anywhere from three months to four years to become a Software Engineer, depending on your technical experience, professional background, and career path.
Is computer programming hard?
The short answer is yes. Programming computers is all about learning certain languages. Just like learning any type of foreign language, it is not necessarily easy to master quickly, but it is not impossible to make major strides in a short time.
Does Amazon pay well for software engineers?
The average Amazon Software Engineer earns $149,485 annually, which includes a base salary of $116,117 with a $33,368 bonus. This total compensation is $42,355 more than the US average for a Software Engineer. Software Engineer salaries at Amazon can range from $86,400 – $210,000 with equity ranging from 0-100K+.
How much do coding jobs pay?
Coding jobs have consistently high salaries, though salaries do vary based on the specific position. According to the BLS, computer programmers earned a median salary of $89,190 in 2020. Web developers earned a median of $77,200 per year, and software developers earned $110,140 per year.
2022 Software Engineer Salary in US
In one survey, software engineers reported receiving an annual salary of $100,000 plus an extra $1,000 in cash compensation. 7+ years of professional experience Male1-10 Employees Albuquerque, New Mexico 5-10 Reports are required. A Software Engineers reported earning an annual salary of $105,000 plus an extra $7,500 in cash compensation. Females with 1-3 years of experience and 51-200 employees NYA is the abbreviation for New York City. The average yearly compensation for a Software Engineer was $88,000.
A Full-Stack Software Engineers earned an average yearly compensation of $113,000, according to the survey.
Female with 1-3 years of experience and 201-500 employees in Chicago, ILA A Software Engineer reported a yearly salary of$100,007, with an extra cash compensation of $5,000 in addition to that.
aSoftware Engineer received an annual salary of$107,800 plus an extra cash reward of $5,000, according to the report Male with 1-3 years of experience and 1,000 or more employees in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 1-5 Reports are available.
1,001+ EmployeesChicago, ILA 1 year of experience Male 1,001+ Employees Software Engineer III reported a yearly income of $104,000, with an extra cash compensation of $5,000 in addition to that.
Male with 7+ years of experience Employees Numbering in the Thousands Greater Denver Metropolitan Area
Software Engineer salary in United States
In the United States, the average compensation for a software engineer is $117,566 per year, with an additional $4,500 cash bonus each year. Salary information was last updated on January 9, 2022, for a total of 28.9k.
Salaries by years of experience in the United States
|Years of experience||Per year|
|Less than 1 year|
|1 to 2 years|
|3 to 5 years|
|6 to 9 years|
|More than 10 years|
Indeed allows you to search for job vacancies based on the years of experience that are relevant to you.
Top companies for Software Engineers in United States
- Salary information has been recorded for San Francisco, CA225
- New York, NY642 salaries have been reported
- Seattle, WA433 salaries have been reported
- Chicago, IL has 528 reported wages
- Boston, MA has 323 reported salaries
- And Austin, TX has 630 reported incomes.
- Houston, TX reported 409 salaries
- San Diego, CA reported 184 salaries
- Atlanta, GA reported 196 salaries
Where can a Software Engineer earn more?
Salary estimates for Software Engineers in various areas are provided.
Best-paid skills and qualifications for Software Engineers
Since 2018, there has been a 6.76 percent growth in the number of jobs needing this expertise. This talent increases the earnings potential of software engineers by 24.30 percent compared to the average base income of $117,566 per year.
|Year||Number of job openings on Indeed requiring this skill||Change from previous year|
|2012||4402||increase by 4402|
|2013||18738||increase by 325.67%|
|2014||26969||increase by 43.93%|
|2015||23159||decrease by 14.13%|
|2016||36922||increase by 59.43%|
|2017||25492||decrease by 30.96%|
|2018||31035||increase by 21.74%|
|2019||33132||increase by 6.76%|
Top companies hiring Software Engineers with the recommended skill
Mechanical Engineering Degree with 36.77 percent annual pay is a winning combination.
More critical skills and qualifications that pay well
|Top Fields of study||Salary||Job openings||Companies|
Most common benefits for Software Engineers
- Stock options, visa sponsorship, a referral program, and commuting aid are all available.
- A 401(k) plan and food are given. Relocation aid is available.
- Health savings accounts
- Health insurance
- 401(k) match
- Vision insurance
- And more.
based on 3,140 user reviews
63% of Software Engineers in the United States think their salaries are enough for the cost of living in their area.
The highest-paid software engineers are those who have managerial experience and qualifications.
How much do similar professions to Software Engineer get paid?
In a computer business, a software engineer’s salary may be divided into three parts: salary, bonus, and commission. The base wage is the amount of money you receive each month simply showing up to work. It is normally set, and it is frequently mentioned on an annual basis. Cash bonuses may be awarded quarterly or yearly, and they are often calculated as a percentage of pay (5-30 percent) and are based on the individual’s success during the time in question. Long-term incentives provide something that may only be redeemable for cash at a later period in the future.
An sum will be assigned to you, normally once a year, and then these units will be convertible into cash at the prevailing rate at some point in the future (1-5 years) at the prevailing rate.
If you’re talking about stock units, it’s just the stock price at the time they are transferred to you (also known as vesting).
What is an appropriate salary for a software engineer?
Greetings and welcome to Paycheck to Paycheck, a site where employees with similar jobs across the United States may disclose how much they make, how they arrived at their compensation, and their best bargaining strategies. Are you ready to contribute to the wage transparency discussion? Fill out this form if you want to be a part of the series. Tech positions have become well-known for commanding high salaries, owing to an increasing need for individuals to design, develop, and manage the technological solutions that we rely on on a daily basis, as well as a scarcity of workers with the appropriate developing skillsets to keep up with the demands.
We chatted with three people from around the country who have recently started new software engineering positions to find out how much money they earned, how they negotiated their compensation, and how they felt about their wages.
$70,000 in Louisville, Kentucky
Martin Yanev is a software developer that lives in the city of Louisville, Kentucky. Thanks to subjectName:Martin Yanev for providing this image. Age:26 Describes himself as: a white dude Works for a multinational electronics corporation Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in aeronautical engineering, as well as a second master’s degree in computer science, have been earned. Years of experience in the field: 3 Did you try to bargain for a higher salary? I am always willing to bargain. I noticed the job description for this position on Indeed, and it provided a variety of salaries.
- After that, they offered me the maximum wage that had previously been stated, which I took without hesitation.
- And how do you feel about your compensation?
- It’s a reasonable compromise.
- I previously lived in the United Kingdom for three years, and before that, I resided in Bulgaria, my native country, for two years.
- In the United Kingdom, I was earning $40,000 per year, so this is a significant increase.
- What are your long-term financial objectives?
In the following five years, I can save up enough money to meet my objectives and complete whatever I set out to do in that time frame. My ultimate objective is to earn more than $100,000 per year at some time in the future. If I was able to accomplish that, I’d consider myself a success.
$93,000 in Austin, Texas
Name:Sarah Age:27 Describes herself as: a white lady It is possible to work for a software startup Self-guided online classes, a computer software engineering boot camp, and a six-month paid software engineering internship are all options for training. Years of experience in the field:2 In college, you studied speech pathology and worked as a speech pathologist before learning how to code. Why did you decide to change your job path? In speech pathology, I received both my bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and I worked as a speech pathologist for two years.
- It was exhausting job with long hours.
- What is your attitude about the amount of money you earn?
- Aside from that, I received a $2,500 performance bonus.
- Now that I’m earning roughly $95,000 per year, including my bonus, I’m quite pleased with what I’m doing.
- Did you try to bargain for a higher salary?
- I was under the impression that I should be receiving more based on what I could see online.
- It was a larger firm in a different market, so it’s impossible to compare the two directly, but I felt like I earned more than $72,000 in total compensation.
- It was during the discussion that I brought up those internet averages and asked if they might be raised, which they agreed to do.
- Always be willing to bargain, even if you believe you’ve gotten the best deal possible on the market.
$120,000 in San Diego, California
Nishant Parepalli is a software developer that lives in the city of San Diego, California. Thanks to subjectName:Nishant Parepalli for making this possible. Age:26 Describes himself as:an Indian dude Works for a multinational electronics manufacturer Bachelor’s and master’s degrees in telecommunications are available, as are self-guided coding courses. Years of experience in the field:2 What is your attitude about the amount of money you earn? I’m completely at ease. I have enough money to pay my rent, cover my costs, and provide for my basic needs.
- Did you try to bargain for a higher salary?
- Following the offer from Human Resources, I called a couple of the people who would be my future colleagues at the firm and discussed the opportunity with them.
- I inquired as to the typical wage I could anticipate to receive.
- So I counter-offered, waited patiently, and the new employer answered with an even greater offer, worth $5,000 more than I had originally offered.
- As a result of my location and years of expertise in the business, HR stated that the $120,000 offer I received was above typical for my position.
- As a result, I was at ease when I signed it.
- Do you share information about your compensation with your coworkers?
- The level of transparency was quite astounding.
- However, it is a positive development.
The length and clarity of the interviews have been modified for clarity and duration. Take a look at: 15 of the best firms for women in technology to work for Now is the time to sign up: Our weekly email will help you become more knowledgeable about money and your profession.
2022 Software Engineer Salary in US
In one survey, software engineers reported receiving an annual salary of $100,000 plus an extra $1,000 in cash compensation. 7+ years of professional experience Employees between the ages of 1 and 10 who are male Albuquerque, New Mexico 5-10 Reports are required. A Software Engineers reported earning an annual salary of $105,000 plus an extra $7,500 in cash compensation. Females with 1-3 years of experience and 51-200 employees NYA is the abbreviation for New York City. The average yearly compensation for a Software Engineer was $88,000.
- A Full-Stack Software Engineers earned an average yearly compensation of $113,000, according to the survey.
- Female with 1-3 years of experience and 201-500 employees in Chicago, ILA A Software Engineer reported a yearly salary of$100,007, with an extra cash compensation of $5,000 in addition to that.
- aSoftware Engineer received an annual salary of$107,800 plus an extra cash reward of $5,000, according to the report Male with 1-3 years of experience and 1,000 or more employees in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 1-5 Reports are available.
- 1,001+ EmployeesChicago, ILA 1 year of experience Male 1,001+ Employees Software Engineer III reported a yearly income of $104,000, with an extra cash compensation of $5,000 in addition to that.
- Male with 7+ years of experience Employees Numbering in the Thousands Greater Denver Metropolitan Area
Software Engineer Salary
Average Base Salary: $88,280 (USD) In the United States, the average income for a Software Engineer is $88,280. EXPLORE BY:
What is the Pay by Experience Level forSoftware Engineers?
In the case of an entry-level Software Engineer with less than 1 year of experience, the average total compensation (which includes gratuities, bonus, and overtime pay) is $77,482, according to Payscale’s database of 6,114 incomes. Based on 34,256 salaries, an early-career Software Engineer with 1-4 years of experience can expect to make an average total salary of $85,823 each year. A… More information may be found here.
What DoSoftware EngineersDo?
A software engineer is a critical member of the team in the field of software design and development. Typically, the engineer is responsible for assisting in the development of the methods by which software functionalities established by a software design team will perform. As part of the design team, the software engineer will assist in the consolidation of different program functionalities into a coherent whole.
The engineer also collaborates with programmers and coders to assist in the mapping out of various programming jobs and smaller functions, which are subsequently integrated into bigger, more complex programs. More information may be found here.
Job Satisfaction forSoftware Engineer
On the basis of 7,986 replies, the position ofSoftware Engineer achieved a work satisfaction rating of 3.96 out of five stars. Software Engineers, on the whole, are quite happy with their jobs.
Software Engineer Salary – How much money do Software Engineers actually make?
The promise made by programming bootcamps appears to be unattainable. They claim that instead of spending four years in university, you can learn how to be a software engineer in a three-month program. On the surface, this seems more like a commercial for Trump University than it does like a viable teaching program. However, this is not what we have discovered at Triplebyte. We conduct interviews with engineers and pair them with businesses in which they would be a suitable fit for their skills and experience.
Over the course of the last year, we’ve worked with about 100 bootcamp graduates, many of whom have gone on to get positions at prestigious firms.
We do our interviews blindly, without knowing a candidate’s past.
How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
Today’s world is run by software, and software engineers are in great demand since they are required to design, distribute, update, and debug the software that runs the globe. This also implies that software developers are well compensated. According to Indeed, the average salary for a full-stack developer in the United States is over $110,000 a year, placing them in the top 100 highest-paying positions in the country. Although this is only the average salary for one software engineering job description, and compensation can vary greatly based on your position and region, it is still rather high when compared to the salaries of many other professions.
In this post, we’ll look at the typical salary for various software engineering positions, as well as the many aspects that go into selecting your compensation package.
dollars, software engineer salaries are very competitive all around the world.
What determines your pay as a software engineer?
There are a variety of elements that influence how much you get compensated as a software developer. The following are the most important considerations:
Education is a factor that influences the compensation of a software engineer, and it is one of the aspects that the engineer can influence. However, while having a college degree, particularly a computer science degree, would likely help you earn a better wage when you’re first starting out, it is not a must for many software engineering positions. By enrolling in classes on new technologies, you may always further your knowledge and develop your talents.
In today’s world, hiring managers and recruiters understand that knowledge of and a passion for technology are the only criteria, and they will not pass up a qualified applicant with a strong skill set simply because they do not have a bachelor’s degree.
A software engineer’s income will be increased if he or she has the appropriate amount of experience. Software developers with years of experience have learnt things that courses and college did not teach them in the classroom. Those with more than six years of experience have worked with a variety of software stacks and are familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of each. They can make rapid, precise judgments that would take a younger engineer far more time and investigation.
The compensation a software engineer earns is also determined by the industry in which they work. As the business environment evolves and software developers become more scarce, this will fluctuate over time, depending on how the business landscape shifts. At the moment, the most lucrative industries for software engineers are transportation, education, communication, retail, entertainment, and healthcare.
The wage of a software engineer is also determined by the technology that they are familiar with and will be employing on the job. A software engineer who understands how to construct a website using WordPress, for example, will most likely earn less than a software engineer who produces machine learning models, because many engineers are familiar with how to build WordPress websites. Aside from augmented reality and virtual reality, other technologies that pay well include video game creation, mobile application development, and embedded development.
Software developers in areas such as Seattle and San Francisco are unquestionably better compensated than their counterparts in other cities. The cost of living is also greater in this area, so they must spend more for things like housing, rent, and groceries as a result. The salaries offered by companies based in major technological centres such as these are often above-average, but the competition for these positions is severe.
Software engineer pay by experience level
When it comes to software engineer salaries, experience level is one of the most important considerations. The other is a body of knowledge. In most cases, a senior-level engineer will earn more than a mid-level engineer, who will earn more than a rookie software engineer in the same field. Furthermore, full-stack software engineers earn far more than either front-end or back-end engineers in the vast majority of cases. What about the designations junior, mid-level, and senior, on the other hand?
Although the definition can vary slightly, we shall adopt the following for the purposes of this article:
- Experience as a junior software engineer ranges from one to three years. Experience requirements for mid-level software engineers are 4 – 6 years
- Experience requirements for senior software engineers are 6+ years.
Many firms provide senior software engineers with the opportunity to advance to positions such as software architects, software engineering managers, or software engineering directors. Take, for example, software engineer positions in the front-end, back-end, and full-stack domains, and how their pay might vary with experience.
Front-end software engineer salaries
- Junior front-end software engineer: The average annual salary for a junior front-end software engineer is $64,000, although it may range from $38,000 to $108,000 depending on a variety of other criteria. Front-end software developer at the mid-level: The salary for a mid-level front-end engineer climbs considerably, reaching an average of $76,000 on a scale ranging from $46,000 to $125,000, with a range of $46,000 to $125,000. A senior front-end software engineer is someone who works on the front end of a website. Senior front-end engineers earn an average pay of $132,000 per year, with salaries ranging from $63,000 to $169,000 on the spectrum.
Back-end software engineer salaries
They are responsible for writing the code that runs on a web-based application server. They are responsible for developing the APIs and services that front-end apps use to obtain data. They must also be familiar with databases and the SQL language, as well as how to construct database queries.
- Junior back-end software engineer (Joint Venture): The typical salary for a junior back-end engineer is $78,000 per year, although the salary can range anywhere from $45,000 to $135,000 based on other circumstances. Back-end software developer at the mid-level: If you have four to six years of experience as a back-end engineer, you can expect to earn an average income of $77,000. You may earn as little as $47,500 and as much as $127,000. Senior back-end software engineer (Senior Back-end Software Engineer): In the United States, the average salary for a back-end software engineer with six or more years of experience is $120,000, with salaries ranging from $61,000 to $165,000
Full-stack software engineer salaries
- Full-stack software engineer, junior level: The average annual salary for a junior full-stack software engineer is $79,000, although the salary can range from $51,000 to $123,000 depending on other factors. Full-stack software developer at the mid-level: With four to six years of experience, a full-stack engineer can expect to earn an average income of roughly $98,000, with a low of $62,000 and a high of $156,000
- However, salaries can vary widely. Senior full-stack software engineer (Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer): The typical wage for a full-stack engineer with six or more years of experience is $130,000, with salaries ranging from $78,000 to $172,000
- However, salaries can vary widely.
How to become a well-paid software engineer
Making a successful development career is possible in a variety of ways. You can put in the effort to learn and practice your technical interview skills in order to win a position at a large technology business such as Google or Facebook, where a large portion of your compensation will be in the form of stock options and bonuses. While working as a junior software engineer, you may develop your skills and knowledge to help you progress as rapidly as feasible. Adding back-end web development talents to your front-end web development skills or vice versa will allow you to become a full-stack developer who can handle everything on your own.
Knowledgeable developers are well compensated, and you may gain marketable abilities by enrolling in software development courses like those offered here at Codecademy.
Get more practice, more projects, and more guidance.
Software engineers in the United States earn an annual income of around $92,824 dollars on average. Annual salaries for software engineers are on the order of $ 92,824. In most cases, wages begin at $55,236 and rise to $155,991.52, which is 152 percent more than the national average. This page was last updated in 2018.
Software engineer earnings by seniority
Estimated figures based on the greatest and lowest earning sectors, respectively.
Software engineer salary by state
|State Name||Average Salary|
|District of Columbia||$113,750|
How do software engineer salaries compare to similar careers?
Software developers in the United Kingdom earn approximately the same as their counterparts in the United States. Compared to geospatial information scientists, they make somewhat less money, but significantly more than wind energy engineers.
|Geospatial information scientist salary||$90K|
|Software quality assurance engineer salary||$90K|
|Video game designer salary||$90K|
|Database architect salary||$90K|
|Electrical engineer salary||$97K|
|Software engineer salary||$93K|
|Nanosystems engineer salary||$97K|
|Nanotechnology engineer salary||$97K|
|Photonics engineer salary||$97K|
|Wind energy engineer salary||$97K|
CareerExplorer is the source of this information (Aggregated)
2022 Software Engineer Salary in Los Angeles (Updated Daily)
Ensure that engineering best practices are followed for development, development, agile, security, accessibility, compliance, performance, HADR, and other aspects of project management. Working knowledge in developing and delivering SaaS solutions for major enterprise customers. Worked with a number of open source technologies, including working with cloud services, modern UI frameworks (Angular, React), and backend technologies (RESTful APIs, Node.js, python, microservices, serverless, etc).
Process orientation and meticulous attention to detail are essential.
Excited by the prospect of developing a world-class firm that not only generates significant revenue growth and returns on investment, but also has a positive influence on society.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related subject, as well as relevant professional experience
How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
At the time of my relocation back to Silicon Valley in 2012, I recall hearing anecdotally that competent software developers were becoming increasingly difficult to find and employ. And that the biggest technology companies were competing tooth and nail for the right to give enormous sums to the brightest minds in the field. At the time, I had recently completed my MBA at Rice University, which had taken place two years prior. Back then, as an MBA graduate from a respectable-ranked institution (of course, if you went to Harvard or Stanford, you could expect more), you could anticipate a basic salary of $100,000 to $110,000 plus a modest bonus.
- As a result, when I returned to the Bay Area, I was surprised to learn that fresh graduates from top computer science undergraduate programs were receiving that much and more, on top of large gifts of company stock or options from their employers.
- Using H1B pay data, we will examine precisely how high Silicon Valley software engineer base wages are, as well as the trajectory over the previous several years, in order to better understand the market.
- What Do Data Scientists Get Paid?
- Part 2 of our series on how much data scientists make.
- And if you’d want to utilize my code for your own studies, you can find it on my GitHub page.
- Before we get into the data, let’s go through a few points of clarification:
- The H1B Salary Database was used to get all of the information. It was only in Silicon Valley (the San Francisco Bay Area) that I was able to collect information. Only the following two job titles are included in my data: software engineer and senior software engineer. In addition, the figures I’ve provided are based on base wages alone and do not include yearly bonuses, RSUs (Restricted Stock Units), or stock options.
First, let’s get the fundamentals of mathematics out of the way. According to my research, software engineers earned a median base income of $130,000 in 2019. Those holding the title of senior software engineer earned a total of $148,000. Below is a breakdown of the base pay quartiles for persons in the H1B data with the title of software engineer for the year 2019.
- 120,000 dollars for the 25th percentile, 130,000 dollars for the 50th percentile, and 150,000 dollars for the 75th percentile.
For the title of senior software engineer, we have the same values as before:
- The 25th percentile earned $132,000
- The 50th percentile earned $148,000
- And the 75th percentile earned $164,000
Those are very substantial figures, and I’d want to remind you once more that these figures are before yearly bonuses (if applicable) and stock compensation (definitely applicable). Following up on the last post, which companies offer the highest wages to data scientists, let’s have a look at a chart that compares software engineers’ salaries to those of data scientists. Please keep in mind that the data on the accompanying chart represent the median H1B salary by firm for software and senior software engineers (I combine them all together) in Silicon Valley for the years 2018 and 2019.
I only plotted the organizations who employed at least 30 H1B software engineers throughout the time period in the chart above. Salary of a Median Software Engineer by Company (2018–2019). There are a few things that stand out to me:
- Only one company on my plot has a median wage that is less than $100,000
- Out of all the firms on my plot. This list has 14 firms (all of which you should be familiar with) that pay a median base salary of $150,000 or more to its software engineers
- As we shall see later, Google is one of the most significant employers of H1B software engineers in the United States. Their typical base income is $140,000, which puts them at number 23 on our list, despite the fact that they pay a generous benefit package. Then then, they undoubtedly make up for it in other ways, such as higher bonuses, more stock options, higher than average increases, and unlimited boba (the one benefit that rules them all)
- Number 1 is. WeWork! That wasn’t anything I was expecting. However, they have received a substantial amount of financing from venture capitalists and are making a concerted effort to position themselves as a technology business rather than a real estate firm. In addition, they are presently valued at $47 billion dollars. No matter how hopeful you are, it would be difficult to anticipate much upside from the equity at current frothy levels (particularly given the company’s continued burning of large sums of cash) — therefore recent recruits are likely to seek more cash pay to compensate for the risk
But, in the grand scheme of things, it appears that no matter where you choose to code, you will earn a respectable salary. After that, let’s take a look at the companies that have employed the most H1B software engineers over the last six years (from 2014 to 2019): Who hired the most number of H1B software engineers between 2014 and 2019? Amazingly, Google has employed orders of magnitude more people than any other company in the world. The social media platforms Facebook and LinkedIn come in a distant second and third, respectively, despite the fact that they employed a few thousand software developers over the time period I investigated.
- That, however, does not necessarily affect my data in a negative way.
- As a result, Google’s insatiable desire for engineers becomes the tide that raises all boats (in terms of pay), and its compensation package becomes the standard benchmark utilized in many a compensation discussion.
- Now, let’s take a look at how the median wage of software engineers (both software engineers and senior software engineers) has changed over the last few years, starting with software engineers.
- That isn’t much more than the rate of inflation (and a lot less than Silicon Valley inflation).
- So even if the current level is high, the growth rates observed over the previous few years have been lower than I anticipated.
- Salary of a Software Engineer on an annual basis If you’re interested in seeing how the distribution of H1B software engineer wages has changed over time, you may see the box plot below.
- Salary Distribution of Software Engineers by Year, Based on Median Salary Given the dominance of Big Tech, particularly Google and Facebook, in the data, let’s look at the pay of software engineers who don’t work for those corporations.
Engineers working for the companies listed below are considered to be part of Big Tech: Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Uber, AirBnB, Lyft, Apple, Netflix, and LinkedIn.
The growth rates of the two groups, on the other hand, are practically identical (both around 14 percent for the 5 year period).
This may account for part of the gap between the pay of Big Tech software engineers (who include a broader range of experience levels) and the salaries of everyone else.
At the Big Tech companies, it appears that “software engineer” is more or less a catch-all term that encompasses a wide variety of experience levels and salary ranges.
The figures back it up – while the growth rate is lower than I anticipated, the amount of base pay that coders are earning is quite astounding (and does not even begin to convey the full picture of how much money software engineers are making year after year).
Whether this is a long-term solution is a story for another day (yes for the Googles of the world, maybe not so much for the WeWorks and Ubers of the world). I hope you found this information to be useful and informative. Cheers!
How Much Do Software Engineers Make?
Software engineering is still one of the most lucrative job choices available in the technology sector today. The benefits go far beyond a competitive pay, comprehensive health insurance coverage, and enhanced opportunities for advancement. Software engineers frequently enjoy perks such as unrestricted vacation time, the ability to work without having to cover shifts, a relaxed or no dress code, and fun workplace facilities such as free beverages, snacks, ping pong, and other games. It has the potential to be a really positive workplace culture.
Why Are Engineers Compensated So Well?
As with any career, it all comes down to supply and demand at the end of the day. Like any other discipline in STEM, computer science is “difficult,” but unlike algebra or conventional engineering, there are many more unfilled positions in the field that need to be filled. Take a look at the number of jobs recorded by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics for the calendar year 2019:
- Engineers in the fields of software and web development, programming, and testing: $1,857,000
- Mathematicians: 2,900
- Chemical engineers: 32,000
- Civil engineers: 329,200
- Electrical engineers: 193,000
- And mechanical engineers: 316,300.
Mathematicians, chemical engineers, civil engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and other engineering disciplines together are in short supply, and software developers are in high demand. Consequently, gaining coding expertise will position you as a well-paid member of society for the foreseeable future. Some of the most successful software engineers didn’t even follow a typical career route, which is one of the things we find most intriguing about the potential for this profession in the upcoming years.
How much do web developers make?
Salary is determined by a variety of criteria, including the location of the organization, the job title, the number of years of work experience, the degree of education, and the specific sort of technologies employed, which mostly includes the coding language used by the development team. Examining the results of the Stack Overflow 2020 poll will reveal which languages are the top paid and which you should consider learning. Because Stack Overflow thrives as a community center and resource for programmers, the information gathered by the site provides a rather accurate picture of what software professionals earn in the real world.
- Go Mastery
- Big-O Algorithms (Go)
- Practical Cryptography (Go)
- And other related topics.
Is It Best to Specialize in One Language?
Become an expert in one or two programming languages is an excellent strategy as long as programmers are specialized in a high-demand programming language or technology. Having said that, the environment is always shifting, and people with a varied variety of skills will always be able to find rewarding employment. For example, software engineering is unique in that it requires continual study, practice, and community interaction to stay abreast of new developments and technologies.
Seventy-five percent of responders to Stack Overflow’s study say they learn new technologies at least once a year to offer pupils a better understanding of what they will face in this profession.
How Much Does a Software Developer Make an Hour?
The median pay for software engineering positions are among the best paid in any field, according to Payscale.com. Because most engineers are paid on a salary, evaluating developer work by the hour is normally reserved for independent contractors. Stack Overflow’s poll respondents work between 40 and 45 hours a week, putting software development on par with a typical full-time employment in the United States. According to statistics gathered by PayScale, the average hourly income for software engineers is expected to be around $35 per hour by the end of the year 2020.
How Much Does a Software Developer Make a Year Based on Job Title?
Upper-level managerial roles in the field of software engineering are compensated handsomely on a yearly basis. Even while it is not the typical salary, managers may easily earn upwards of $200,000 per year in some cases, particularly at larger corporations. Salary, on the other hand, is not the most essential factor. Equity (ownership) in the firm itself is frequently included in remuneration packages. While equity has a higher level of risk than cash, it may sometimes result in stock value increases in the tens of thousands of dollars every year.
It is usual for software engineers to begin their careers working for large corporations before moving on to create their own businesses after gaining experience in the industry.
Many times, software engineers who have studied computer science earn higher money and have an easier time obtaining promotions within their organizations.
The median salary data give a more fair look at the range of earnings since they do not include outliers that might distort the results.
Does Location Matter For Developer Salaries?
In general, American employees earn far more than their counterparts across the world, with US averages around twice those of the rest of the world. But why is this so? Once again, it is mostly a matter of supply and demand. The majority of the world’s largest technology businesses are still based in the United States (though that is changing). Because many firms want to have their staff near by, there is a high need for developers in the United States. Even salaries inside the United States are subject to significant fluctuations.
According to PayScale, the typical yearly compensation for a software engineer with a similar skill set in San Francisco is $115,822 – a big difference.
Otherwise, incomes plummet abruptly as a result of a variety of variables, including the exchange rate of the currency and the cost of living.
Hopefully, this knowledge will be of use to you as you pursue advancement in your development career! Make sure to check out Qvault if you’re ready to get started with some classes! –
How Much Can a Software Developer Expect to Get Paid?
In 2020, the median annual pay for Software Developers was $110,140. The top 25 percent of earners received $140,470 in that year, while the bottom 25 percent received $84,020 in the same year.
Both the income and the number of available positions in the software development industry are increasing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the software development profession will expand by around 22 percent by 2030, resulting in the creation of 409,500 new employment. Comparatively, people in computer-related jobs are expected to see a 13 percent increase in employment.
Find a Job
These are the metropolitan locations with the highest salaries in the software developer profession: San Jose, San Francisco, Seattle, Wenatchee, and Oxnard, among others. The city of San Francisco, California
The 5 Best-Paying Cities for Software Developers
State and local governments in Washington ($138,400), California ($137,620), New York ($122,300), Massachusetts ($119,790), and the District of Columbia ($119,630) pay Software Developers the highest mean salaries, followed by California ($138,400), New York ($122,300), New York ($122,300), and the District of Columbia ($119,630).
What Is the Software Developer Salary by Place of Employment?
A software developer’s income is influenced by a variety of factors, including geography, education, speciality, industry, and the company where he or she works. inland water transportation ($243,130), independent artists, writers and performers ($187,070), sporting goods, hobby and musical instrument stores (146.630), computer and peripheral equipment manufacturing ($145,800), and electronics and appliance stores ($137,170) are among the industries where software developers earn the highest average annual salaries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q:Can you tell me how much a software engineer makes every month? A software engineer will earn an average of around $9,523 per month in 2020, according to Payscale. Q:Can you tell me how much a software engineer earns in California? A:In 2020, the average salary for a software engineer in California will be $137,620.
Average Software Developer Pay vs. Other Best Jobs
Architect for Computer Networks
Jobs Related to Software Developer
Computer Systems Analyst– Average Salary $99,020A computer systems analyst is a person who designs and develops computer systems and procedures for use by other people. Average Salary for a Computer Programmer: $95,640A computer programmer is a person who produces code that guides ordinary software applications on how to work. IT Managers earn an average salary of $161,730 per year. An information technology manager is responsible for coordinating technological concerns for an organization. Average Salary of $119,230 for a Computer Network ArchitectA computer network architect is responsible for the design and maintenance of data transmission networks.